Palabras Errantes Latin American Literature in Translation

Palabras Errantes
The Max Power Incident

By Alejandro Badillo. Translated by Jennifer Early.

en español

On the evening of the 22nd March, 1997, Max Power went to the premier of the French film Le rouge et le noir. The title refers to the novel by Stendhal, but that was the only thing they had in common. The story, written by a director who specialised in light comedies, centred around an alcoholic painter, his search for fame and his ageing, passionate lover. The heroine was played by an actress who had fallen on hard times, perhaps because she had managed her finances badly, or because she had a tendency to get involved with corrupt politicians. She was trying to recuperate her lost fame by acting in films that weren’t very ambitious from an artistic point of view, but that were assured to be box-office hits. The main actor, however, was young and talented; various critics had predicted that he would have a promising career. Those who saw Max Power enter the theatre and sit down in the first row (he was short-sighted and couldn’t read the subtitles too well) agreed that he placed his bag to one side, yawned, and crossed his legs as if he were in a doctor’s waiting room. The movie went off without a hitch. Some remember that, because of the light-hearted subject matter, the plot twists and comedic moments, the hour and a half flew by. On leaving the room, Max Power stopped for a moment to look at the listings of the movies that were showing next. There were only two more. There was a large queue waiting to buy tickets from the box office. With a large smile on his face, he walked past those waiting: he always went to the first showing, so he never had trouble getting tickets, even for premiers. The salesman who sold him his tickets said: ‘He always arrived wearing his red trainers; often half an hour in advance. He knew he would probably be the only one in the theatre, but he still seemed determined to arrive just as the cinema opened. On one occasion I couldn’t resist the temptation, and I followed him in silently to see what he was doing. Making sure I didn’t make a sound, I peered through the door just enough to see that he was taking out a book from his bag as he crossed his legs, and then he started to read’.

The episode at the cinema was only superficially investigated, even though the spectators included the mother and daughter who Max Power would meet later in rather lamentable circumstances. Months later, when the movie came out on video, somebody noticed that the main character was wearing clothes that were very similar to those that Power was wearing that day. Mere coincidence, many said. As it was the first showing, it was impossible he could have known what the actor would be wearing – although he could have seen the adverts that had been released on television. After the brief debate about these clothes, nobody bothered to venture a hypothesis as to why he started to read before every showing. Perhaps an obsessive streak in his personality? Or just something so insignificant it wasn’t worth investigating? Maybe nobody will ever know.

Max Power left the cinema complex. He crossed the street. It was getting cold, and he pulled out a blue sweater from his bag. The city lights started to become illuminated. The sky had taken on that shade of deathly grey that precedes total darkness. The birds flocked together, fighting for a spot on the branches of the few trees that lined the streets. He sat down on a bench. As if hypnotised, he watched the cars, the bright adverts, the people waiting for the bus. A few metres away from him, an amateur photographer was waiting patiently for the moment in which the birds would fly out of the trees, in order to capture the instant in which their silhouettes appeared crisp and dark in front of his camera. He checked the height of his tripod and adjusted the shutter. He knew there wasn’t too much time left to wait, now that night was getting its claws into the day. In that moment, a flock of birds flew between the tall buildings in front of him. The birds fell like feathered droplets. Their wings beat rapidly, tracing circles backwards, quietly, letting themselves be taken by subtle currents of air. They crossed in front of him as if they knew that they were posing for him. They stretched their wings out majestically. He started shooting, despite not being able to avoid capturing the figure that came into view in the lower half of the frame.

The photographer won first prize in a competition entitled ‘The city in the evening’, organised by the magazine Contrast, and was published on the cover of their anniversary edition. The organiser of the competition, inspired by the melancholy figure, his face barely visible, put beside it one of Strabo’s aphorisms: ‘Great city, great solitude’. The winner, after getting up on the podium to accept his award, told a reporter: ‘I knew that this evening would be special. I was running out of time to get a decent shot. I was hoping that the birds would help me. After spending two hours there, I thought I would go home empty handed. When I was about to give up on taking the photo, a man crossed the street, took out a blue sweater from his bag and put it on. He kept looking at the cars, he seemed to have no other intention than to stay sitting on that bench. He looked kind of helpless, like a child abandoned by his parents. An idea crossed my mind, and I thought it was absurd at the time, but looking back over the negatives, it made more sense: the poor man did not know who he was, or where he was going. I promised myself that, after having taken the photo for the competition, I would take one of him. That’s when the birds flew by. It was the perfect shot. I tried a few different angles, but the man was in my way. I was a bit put out, but I took a few photos anyway. While I was shooting, he looked at me, raised his right arm and pointed towards the sky. Then he walked right past me. It’s difficult to say why it made me so nervous: my hands were shaking and I couldn’t change the roll of film, or even manage the flash I needed to take the photo. Maybe holding him back for a few moments would have made him change his plans.’

The celebrated photo of Max Power, with the birds flying over his head and his right arm pointing towards the sky, is the only photographic record of him that exists. Nobody knew anything about his family, there were no other records of any sort. Hours later, in his blood stained wallet, with no money or any form of ID, placed inside one of his red trainers, they found a business card. The card – now to be found in the central museum, in the capital – displays a stylised silhouette of a person against a light background and, beneath it, in capital letters (specialists have stated that the type face is Courier New, size 14), centrally aligned, were the words: ‘HELLO, I AM MAX POWER’. Talking about the card, a radio presenter ironically stated: ‘It would seem that this man arrived from outer space, bringing with him a bunch of cards to help him make contact with people and, when he realised they were taking photographs of him, demonstrated the way to his galaxy’. The photographer was hired by a fashion magazine, and had a couple of romances with movie stars. However, his career was a short one, because the incident with Max Power had changed him, and from that moment on he insisted on photographing birds and men wearing red trainers and pointing to the sky.

Max Power lowered his arm. He closed his eyes. The smoke thrown out by the trucks did not bother him, and he breathed deeply. His nostrils widened, and he filled his lungs with a few leaves from nearby trees, fragments of the chatter of passers-by and pieces of the cars starting to turn on their headlights. The treetops swayed gently, as if lulling the birds as they curiously scrutinised their feathers before sleeping. He continued on his way, and passed by the man with the camera who, obviously nervous, couldn’t find anything to say to him. He took a darkened side street. He concentrated his attention on the flashing lights of the advertisements. He noticed that one of the laces of his red trainers was loose and he bent down to tie it. He was walking slowly, and many people had to walk around him. As he arrived at a busy street, he stopped still, his hands in his pockets, and closely watched the carnivalesque performances that were playing out under the traffic lights: circus performers lying on broken glass, men vomiting fire, stooped old ladies begging. The sun had set, and the sky looked as if it was covered by a giant oil slick. Many people speculated as to whether Power ever had any doubts about what he was doing. Opinions are divided between those who believe he acted systematically, as if he was following a manual, and those who believed him to be a tormented soul, filled with doubt. A transport official, assigned to that crossing, said: ‘The man in the blue sweater caught my attention straight away. It was rush hour, most office workers were leaving work, the traffic was getting busy and the crossings were crowded. Mr. Power stood out against the coming and going of all the people, because he wasn’t moving and he didn’t seem to have any intention of doing so. It was as if he was stuck to the ground. He missed the ‘go’ signal so many times, and with such an exasperating calmness. I thought about asking him if he was lost, or needed some help, because deep down I was curious to know how long he would stay there without moving. After a while, I saw a young girl approach him. He bent down. I am sure that he took something out of his bag and handed it to her, although I couldn’t see clearly what it was because the people walking in front of me got in the way. The girl walked away, and without really knowing why, that pushed me to challenge him, to put my doubts to rest once and for all. I crossed the street. Before speaking to him, I realised that he had a look of frustration on his face, as if the incident with the little girl had left a bad taste in his mouth. I know it’s hard to believe, but as I looked more carefully, I was struck by the colour of his eyes, or rather, that they had no colour at all. His irises were changing screens, acting like mirrors, reflecting what was in front of him. Reflected in his eyes, I saw a car parking and somebody in a suit going into a building. I suppose Mr. Power noticed my confusion, because he looked at me intently, raising his eyebrows as if questioning me. As I chose the best way to address him, I could see the reflection of my badge and my dark glasses in his gaze. I decided to start with the most logical question:

‘Can I help you with something?’

He shook his head slowly. By the way he did it I thought that he must be somebody well educated. Despite the polite way in which he brushed off my question, I immediately tried again, hoping at least to hear his voice.

‘Well… are you lost? Where are you going?’

I wanted to ask more questions, but I was captivated by his eyes, the eyes of a shopkeeper closing up his shop. He seemed to be really considering his reply as he bowed his head forward a little. A few expression lines marked his face beneath his nose and over his forehead. When he finally half-opened his mouth and I thought he was about to say something, he held back, simply passing his tongue over his lips and becoming a statue once again. I felt like a small child, promised a lollypop that was left on top of a very high piece of furniture, out of reach. Swallowing my frustration, I had decided to leave him in peace, when Mr. Power, becoming aware of my desperation, took his right hand out of his pocket, signalled to me to wait, and then, very slowly, lifted his arm and pointed to the sky. With that authoritative gesture, he looked like a general, Napoleon in red trainers rallying his troops to raid the moon or the clouds, only instead of horses there were cars and instead of soldiers, office workers anxious to get home. At that moment they got in touch over the radio to say that there had been an accident not too far away from where I was. I headed towards my car, without knowing that in a few minutes time I would once again find myself with Mr. Power.’

Max Power looked nostalgically at the other side of the street, as if it was a turbulent asphalt sea and he could not cross to the other side. A little girl came out of a shop licking an ice-lolly, putting her change into a bag shaped like an apple. She stopped for a few seconds next to him, waiting for the lights to change. She looked closely at his red trainers, smiled, touched his sweater sleeve with her sticky hand and asked:

‘Mister, could you tell me time?’

Power lowered his eyes until he saw her braids and her little hand tugging at his sweater. He rolled up his sleeve, but on his left wrist there was nothing he could use to tell the time. He tried his right, with the same result. As he bent down to the same height as the little girl, he took a pen and a piece of paper from his bag. Resting on air, he drew a rather shaky circle. With his tongue poking out between his lips, like a schoolboy struggling with his homework, he made a few diagonal marks and by each one he wrote a number. When he had finished, he gave a satisfied sign and handed the paper to the little girl. A faint smile touched his lips, as if he had done a good job. The girl, looking with disbelief at what she had been handed, pulled on his sleeve once again.

‘Wait – watches have hands, this one doesn’t. How will I know the time?’

Max Power shrugged his shoulders, made a surprised gesture, and frowned, as if the child had asked him a question about nuclear physics or advanced mathematics. The traffic lights turned red. The little girl sighed, licked her lolly again, and said tersely:

‘All right, then. Bye.’

The little figure walked off, almost engulfed by the stampede of briefcases and suits competing to get to the other side. Max Power waved goodbye. Then he put his hand back in his pocket. From the other side of the street, a transport agent – half timid, half curious – was coming towards him.

We will never know the identity of that little girl. Posters of her were spread around the city, based on a description given by the transport agent. Receiving no response, they extended the search nationwide. For many, that meeting was crucial, or at least quite telling. Even a famous author brought out a short story based on the alleged conversation. Using the information available at the time, the writer hardly mentioned the episode in the cinema, and basically focused on the fleeting relationship between Power and the child. In an interview given with the international press, he admitted: ‘any attempt at constructing a biography of Power would be almost entirely imaginary, because the witnesses have given very little, often ambiguous, information. That’s why, in the story, I create the character trying to avoid facts, and I write dialogues without any real logic. For me, Power will always be a subjective character par excellence, and this is what allows everyone to see in him what they want to see. People dress him up as if he were a paper doll, sticking different faces, phrases, hopes onto him. That’s a crucial mistake, because the opposite is true: he was a blank sheet, a mirror that throws words back, a statue silently challenging us. Everybody is waiting for answers, solutions, but you can’t communicate with someone whose every step is simply one big question. If we try to bring together the details of the 22nd March from this point of view, everything he did, from leaving the cinema until he got to the metro, makes sense: nonsense.’

After walking a few blocks, Max Power caught sight of a group of curious faces, milling around in circles. The traffic was moving slowly. Drivers, seeing the red and blue lights of the ambulance, honked their horns and tried to make space. There were pieces of broken glass on the floor. There was no need for further explanation, because the car, with its back wheels on the curb and the windshield destroyed, along with the heaped white blanket on the ground, said it all. The force of the accident was evident from the state of the car; the fragility of human life was represented by the blanket, which seemed like a mound of snow abandoned in the middle of the road. Two candles were twinkling at its sides like morbid stars. Power took in all the details: the bonnet, splattered with red, the handbag hanging from the antenna. A broken polystyrene cup, still with the remainders of coffee inside, was being dragged along by the wind. Several curious pairs of eyes watched the wailing woman, holding on to the mound of white fabric as if she were trying to grasp a ghost. She looked like the grieving Virgin at the foot of the cross. They lifted her up into their arms. At first she resisted, but she gave in eventually and her body went limp. She was not crying, but her eyes were red and popeyed. She was taken to the ambulance to be given a sedative. Power, extremely interested in what was happening, made a space for himself in the curious crowd. They were whispering the details of the accident; somebody mentioned that they had seen the driver flee. Two paramedics, knowing that there was nothing they could do, and taking care not to uncover the body, lifted it and put it onto a stretcher. The transport agent that had met Power a few streets earlier guided the traffic to alternative routes. He saw the man who had perturbed him so much walking in the direction of the ambulance.

‘Did you know the young girl?’ the paramedic asked.

Max Power did not answer. He didn’t even look around. Slowly, he lifted the sheet. He was so absorbed in his discovery that he took a step too close, and without meaning to he nudged the wheels of the stretcher. That little movement was enough to knock a drop of blood that hung in her hair onto his right shoe.

The drop stayed intact on the toe of his trainer, without changing, shining weakly, as if it was a reminder of what had happened. He touched her dirty, scratched cheeks, as he studied the dry skin of her arms. Her messy hair, loosely held by a clip in the shape of a butterfly, made her look like she had just woken up, ready to get dressed and get to work. The crowd of people drew closer. A voice whispered ‘what is he doing?’, but the question only evoked more silence, and a few exchanged glances. Power noticed that bubbles of blood were appearing on the young girl’s lips. He wiped them away with his fingertips. He did it carefully, as if he were scared he would wake her from a peaceful sleep. At that moment, in one last reflex, the girl’s mouth moved. Max Power jumped back, and hurried to cover her again.

The accident was summed up in three lines in the crime section of the local papers. A week later, however, when the rumours that Power had been there were confirmed, the story gained worldwide coverage. Reporters flooded in, trying to learn more about the victim and her mother. The next day, the whole story was known: the young girl was studying economics, she had been to the cinema with her mother (coincidentally, to see the premier of Le rouge et le noir). When the film finished, they had gone to get a coffee. The girl had to study for an exam, so she asked for hers to go. They were walking towards the bus stop when, as they stepped onto the pedestrian crossing, a car ignored a red light and charged straight into her. One witness mentioned that he saw her body rolling over the bonnet, and another was leaving his house just as the car stopped sharply, leaving skid marks in the road. She slammed against the windscreen, and went flying forwards. Her bag, stuck on the antenna, swung for a few seconds, like a pendulum, before staying still. The mother raised her hands to her mouth, because in the same instant, her daughter’s legs stopped shaking. Police and paramedics were interviewed time and time again. The paramedic in charge said: ‘Unfortunately, there was nothing we could do. The impact had ruptured several internal organs, and she did not have a pulse. We tried in vain to bring her round. We were about to put her into the ambulance to take her to the mortuary, when a man wearing a blue sweater and red trainers approached the stretcher. I asked him if he knew the girl, but he didn’t reply. He uncovered the body, stayed for a few seconds until he got a fright, and left very quickly. I was intrigued to find out what had frightened him, and so I pulled back the sheet. I was very surprised to discover that they young girl was smiling.’

In the funeral home, efforts to remove this smile from her face were useless. The girl -her face was still swollen, taking on the pallor that makes the dead into waxworks – boasted, almost proudly, a crisp smile, the kind that can only be summoned by a decent joke or a funny situation. On the following day, before leaving for the cemetery, her friends and relatives found it difficult to weep bitter tears. As they paid their respects to her mother, and crossed themselves in front of the coffin, they couldn’t help but ask why the young girl, appropriately dressed in white, with her hands crossed over her chest, was smiling so widely you could see all her teeth. When they had buried her, a distant cousin commented that ‘she seemed to be laughing at us all’. Even stranger still was the explanation given by her mother, quickly taken up by the media. Having watched Power’s brief appearance, she was sure that he was some sort of messenger sent from heaven; an angel sent by God to make her daughter’s passing easier. How else would you explain that smile? Only somebody who finds themselves at the gates of paradise could be happy enough to show it so explicitly. The pain of a grieving mother can have a surprising effect. The idea of an angel took a progressively bigger hold on her imagination. The evidence she needed to confirm her fantasy arrived when the coroner finally understood what happened to Power in the metro station. Nothing else was needed, because the message was clear: the man in the red trainers was sent from heaven for her daughter, chosen, like herself, to spread the divine message. She felt she had to do something. She could not sit back and do nothing, and so she set about collecting donations, extended her house, and on the 22nd March of the following year, she founded ‘The Universal Church of Max Power’, whose principles were fundamentally the same as the Mormon church, except that the priests dressed like Max Power, and in their bible his name took the place of Jesus Christ and some of the more important prophets. A comedian joked that, from now on, when somebody died, an angel in red trainers would come to give his approval, so that families could free themselves of costly masses and boring prayers, because the soul of their loved one would be assured to get in to heaven. Some students who witnessed it all founded the short-lived leftist movement ‘We Are All Max Power’. They didn’t have an ideological manifesto, nor political direction, and all they did was rent a room and hang up a photo-shopped picture in which Power – complete with beret and short beard – was portrayed as a new Che Guevara. This photo, sold on t-shirts and as a poster, allowed them to get together every night to get drunk in memory of their hero. A mystical-religious sect sprung from the Universal Church of Max Power, founded by modern, spiritual, occultist monks, dedicated to studying each step Power took. They drew up maps of the route taken from the cinema to the metro, worked out the position of the stars on the 22nd March, and thoroughly studied the news footage of his final steps. For them, he had left nothing to chance, and everything held a hidden significance that was only available to an initiated few. With that idea in mind, they went to the cinema, intensely studied the one photo of Power, counted the number of letters on his business card, divided them, added them up, multiplied them. They got hold of numerous copies of Le rouge et le noir. As often happens with this type of movement, they slowly lost momentum, and stopped appearing in public. The last of its members continued their studies in secret. After a while, they published a book suggesting that ‘the One and Only Max Power’, as they called him, was a time traveller, and had been taught by the Essenes, participated in the construction of the pyramids at Teotihuacán, helped Leonardo da Vinci to paint the Mona Lisa and, finally, in his last trip, had left his most important legacy. They still didn’t know what that was, but they speculated that it had something to do with the end of the world. Amongst all the confusion that was unleashed after the accident, the most coherent opinion was given by a psychoanalyst on a radio programme: ‘He was obviously a very sensitive soul. His whole life he had avoided unpleasant encounters. Because he knew he was near the end, he was brave enough to confront death by uncovering the young girl’s body. It is well known that people move after death, and in this case that movement was a smile. Power was frightened, and wanted to get to the metro as soon as possible. He could no longer stand to be part of a world he didn’t understand.’

The metro station was full of people at that time. People were walking through intricate labyrinths created by the stalls set up by street sellers to ensure that their goods got the best exposure possible. Max Power bought a ticket and went through the turnstile. Despite the cold outside, the air was warm and sticky. He went down the stairs and submerged himself in the multitude crowding through the narrow corridor. The steps, worn away by the continual flow of thousands of soles, had become slippery and somewhat curved along the edges. The sea of heads was moving as one, executing an immense, unsteady dance. Arriving at an intersection, the crowd divided into three. Keeping himself in the middle of the horde and letting himself be taken by the flow of people, he arrived at an escalator. As he descended, he noted that the opposite direction was equally full of people. A swarm of glasses, hats, noses and eyes passed before him. The escalator reached the bottom and the crowd dispersed, like fish that had been trapped and could now swim easily along the platform. His attention flitted between the adverts for make-up, sportswear, and the smiling face of a hopeful politician in the middle of his campaign. An orange worm, passengers bursting from its insides, whistled as it came into the station. The doors opened. Those on the inside fought to get out, whilst those outside tried to make room for themselves. Boarding was brief, because the doors, like jaws, started to close. A recorded voice asked passengers to stand clear as they did so. The line of orange rectangles continued on its journey. Max Power watched the faces pushed up against the windows, looked down towards the yellow line that marked a safe distance from the platform edge, and brought the toes of his red trainers closer to it. The clock under the sign that announced the name of the station showed a minute had passed. Those who had not been able to board were not put off, and lined up for another try. Power backed away from the yellow line, but immediately moved forward again, stepping over it by a few centimetres. Then he crouched down and, placing his hands on the floor, and moved so that he was sitting on the edge. He looked like an innocent child who had confused his swing with the end of the platform. Perhaps that is why people did not react immediately. The act seemed so unreal that they were left with their mouths open, not knowing what to say. Power’s legs were pressed together, and he was moving them backwards and forwards with little kicks. A child laughed, alerting his mother to this strange man kicking his legs as if he were sitting by a swimming pool. Max Power looked down and, in one swift movement, pushed off with his hands and jumped down, falling in the middle of the tracks. That woke everybody up, and they started to shout out loud; the first was that of an old lady, who screamed: ‘Don’t do it!’ She was followed by a street vendor, who could not think of anything to say, so let out an exclamation of disbelief. Like a row of falling dominoes, one voice encouraged another until the chain reaction filled the throats of everybody on the platform with shouts. Over the loudspeaker they pleaded for calm. Power stood still for a few moments, watching curiously as the people on the platform gesticulated, pulled at their hair, closed their eyes. A man wearing glasses raised his voice to catch Power’s attention: ‘Tell me what you want, I’m listening’. Power shrugged his shoulders, suggesting that there was nothing that he wanted and, with his hands in his pockets, he started to walk. The pleas, invocations to the Virgin, the desperate cries of ‘don’t be stupid!’, and ‘life is beautiful’, intensified. Despite the commotion, nobody dared get closer: it was as if he had jumped into an ocean, and nobody could save him because nobody could swim. Not about to give up, the man in glasses gathered his strength and moved towards the edge. He was about to step down when he heard the sound of a train approaching. ‘My God’, a voice murmured. The brave man, intimidated, abandoned his attempt. While everybody was waiting in terror for the fatal conclusion, the sighs of relief from those close to the mouth of the tunnel indicated that the metro was coming in from another direction. The collection of carriages arrived with its cargo, which looked on in disbelief at the man on the tracks. The most immediate threat had passed; but Power moved on resolutely, and it was too late for anybody to venture another rescue. He was walking calmly, as if he had confused the track with a Sunday walk in the countryside. If he had been whistling, the scene would have been complete. Resigned, the crowd watched the figure in red trainers enter the tunnel. Before disappearing from view, he turned and smiled, perhaps to calm them, to show that he wasn’t scared. The platform, once so noisy, was silent.

Max Power’s final act, as reported in the news that night, led the reporter to develop a nervous problem, and the owner of the newspaper to win several awards. Before the live coverage, he gathered a few eyewitness testimonies as he arrived at the metro station. One woman emphasized the smile on Power’s face; an old man, moved to tears, was sure that he had tried to say something to him before he stepped down onto the track. The control room confirmed that a train had passed after the man had entered into the tunnel. The driver of this train was interrogated extensively; but, no matter how many questions they asked, the only answer they could get was a firm declaration that he had not run over anybody, and that the only bit of the route that was out of the ordinary was a tiny reflection between the tracks, as if somebody had left a mirror there. The authorities announced that they had stopped the traffic on this line. The passengers that had got off the last train did not understand the desperation of the young journalist trying to find out something concrete. His questions all got similar responses: ‘I didn’t see anything’, ‘it’s all a joke’, ‘I was asleep’. The only testimony that was at all different was given by a man in a suit, carrying a black briefcase, who said, with certainty: ‘People throw themselves under trains all the time, but they don’t do it like this, so calmly.’ The news channel anchor contacted the station.

‘We’re live. Tell me what you can see.’

‘Rescue teams are getting some light into the tunnels, trying to see any sign of the body… One moment, I’m going to come outside, we’re getting some interference here.’

‘Alright, let’s go to the commercials.’

After the advertisements, the anchor said gravely:

‘Hello, everybody. For those who are just joining us now, a man, approximately thirty years of age, in red trainers and a blue sweater, has jumped down onto the tracks of the metro, and started walking into the tunnel. We’re back with you now, is there any news?’

‘They seem to have found something.’

‘A body?’

‘I’m not certain, we’re getting closer to make sure.’

The tunnel appeared on screen, with the white helmets of the rescue team standing out against the darkness. For a few moments, the image became distorted. The camera behind the reporter took the place of his bespectacled face.

‘It’s a bag.’

‘What’s in it?’

The reporter opened it up.


The rescue worker’s torch made out something to the left of them. A voice said, ‘There’s something over here’.

‘Can you get any closer?’

He didn’t answer, but tried to get as close as possible. The picture shook; then, stabilising itself, it showed Power’s abandoned clothes: black socks, creased denim jeans, the blue sweater, the red trainers, laces still tied. On top of this, there was a blood stained card.

‘The rescue team is going further in to see if they can find the body’, the reporter said, and he started to describe what he was doing, ‘I’m going to have another look at the wallet, to see if I can find any more information about this man.’

There were a few moments of silence. The nervous voice of the reporter reached the ears of his audience, utterly perplexed as they sat in front of their television screens.

‘There is only one card. It says HELLO, MY NAME IS MAX POWER.’

‘Are you sure there’s nothing else?’

‘No, wait…’ he addressed the cameraman, ‘shine a light over here.’

The anchor, already impatient, was going to ask what it was all about, when the picture, slightly fuzzy, showed one of the tunnel walls and revealed the silhouette of a person drawn out in white chalk – like the experts do when there has been an accident. It was a crude drawing, showing legs formed by two irregular lines, united by the thicker square of a torso. Within the perfectly drawn circle of the face, there were two smaller circles. Below them, there was a triangular nose and a crescent shape that represented the mouth. One of the arms was raised; at the top of this, there was a line, barely two or three centimetres long, representing an index finger pointing upwards, towards the sky.

Max Power walked into the tunnel, and after taking a few steps he turned around, like a man going on a journey, giving one last look towards his past. He could still hear the voices of the people on the platform. A grey rat appeared from beside him and crossed in front of him, dragging his unusually large, furry tail. He continued walking. The tiny lamps along the tunnel barely broke up the darkness. He dropped his bag, and it slipped from his hand like a dry leaf falling from a tree. His right hand felt moist. Bringing it up to his eye line, he noticed that his palm was tinted red, and the lines of his hand were blurring. He stopped, and gave a long sigh. His movements were deliberate, only his damp eyes showed any emotion. It didn’t take him long to remove all his clothes.

Goosebumps formed on his skin. He took off his red trainers without needing to untie the laces. He heard the grumble of a metro coming closer. He knew that there wasn’t much time, and so he rushed to take out the business card from his trouser pocket and position it on top of his shoes. It was stained by a drop of blood. Standing up, he straightened his back, strained his eyes to see the bright light slowly illuminating the end of the tunnel. Naked, Max Power, looked like he was made of glass, a man needing to show his own fragility, moving his toes one by one, licking his lips as the noise came closer and closer. Fifteen or twenty seconds went by. The bright light became one concentrated point that then expanded outwards. Max Power felt his heart beating hard in his chest. After thirty seconds, the light became so big it resembled a small sun, getting closer to the end of the tunnel, reclaiming its dominions from the night. The sound caused echoes, mixing the screech of the wagons with the metal wheels sending sparks flying from the tracks. After fifty seconds, the white and dazzling sunrise covered his entire field of vision. He opened his mouth slightly, and took a step backwards. He saw the orange worm avidly devouring the tracks. His eyes reflected the yawning metro driver. Fifty-five seconds had gone by, and the immense sun started to melt into his body, occupying every centimetre. His last breath. His nostrils flared open. He raised his arm. Fifty-nine seconds. The cogs of the station clock ground on, and slowly changed. After that, there was nothing.

Photography by Sonia Carolina.

El caso Max Power

La tarde del 22 de marzo de 1997, Max Power fue al estreno de la película francesa Le rouge et le noir. El título remite a la novela de Stendhal, sin embargo, esa era su única coincidencia, porque la historia –escrita por un guionista especializado en comedias ligeras– giraba en torno a un pintor alcohólico en busca de fama y a su apasionada amante entrada en años. La heroína era una actriz venida a menos, tal vez por sus malos manejos financieros o por su tendencia a involucrarse con políticos corruptos. Trataba de resucitar su fama perdida actuando en filmes poco ambiciosos desde el punto de vista artístico, pero con taquilla asegurada. El actor estelar, en cambio, era joven y talentoso; varios periodistas le auguraban una carrera promisoria. Las personas que vieron a Max Power entrar a la sala y sentarse en la primera fila de butacas (era corto de vista y no podía leer con claridad los subtítulos) concuerdan en que dejó su maleta a un lado, bostezó, y cruzó las piernas como si estuviera en la sala de espera de un consultorio. La película transcurrió sin contratiempos. Algunos recordarían que, por la trama ligera, de enredos y situaciones chuscas, la hora y media de duración se les había ido volando. Al salir de la sala, Max Power se detuvo unos instantes a observar la cartelera con las próximas películas. Todavía faltaban dos funciones más. En la taquilla había una larga fila esperando poder comprar un boleto. Pasó junto a ellos con una sonrisa en los labios: tenía la costumbre de ir a la primera función, por eso no tenía problemas para conseguir boletos, incluso en estrenos. El vendedor que lo atendió dijo: “Llegaba siempre con sus tenis rojos, a veces hasta con media hora de anticipación, sabía que probablemente sería el único en la sala, pero aun así se veía apresurado por llegar apenas abierto el cine. Una ocasión no resistí la curiosidad y lo seguí en silencio para ver qué hacía. Cuidando de no hacer ruido, entorné la puerta, asomé los ojos justo para ver cómo sacaba un libro de su maleta, cruzaba las piernas y se ponía a leer”.

El episodio del cine fue investigado superficialmente, aun cuando entre los espectadores estaban la mujer y su hija con quienes Max Power se encontraría después en circunstancias bastante lamentables. Meses más tarde, cuando la película fue editada en video, alguien hizo notar el parecido de la ropa del protagonista con la que llevaba Power. Coincidencia, dijeron muchos, pues al ser la primera vez que él la veía, era imposible que conociera el atuendo del actor. Aunque pudo haber visto los adelantos que salían en la televisión. Después de la breve polémica de la ropa, nadie se molestó en hacer una hipótesis acerca de su extraña costumbre de ponerse a leer media hora antes del inicio de cada función. ¿Algún rasgo obsesivo en su personalidad o algo insignificante que consideraron no valía la pena investigar? Quizá nunca se sepa.

Max Power abandonó el complejo de cines. Cruzó la calle. Empezaba a hacer frío y sacó de la maleta un suéter azul. Las luces de la ciudad comenzaban a encenderse. El cielo tenía ese tono gris, casi mortecino, que precede a la oscuridad completa. Los pájaros se arremolinaban, peleando por un lugar entre las ramas de los escasos árboles que poblaban el camellón. Se detuvo en la banqueta. Veía hipnóticamente los autos, los anuncios luminosos, las personas que esperaban el autobús. A pocos metros de él, un fotógrafo aficionado esperaba con paciencia el momento en que las aves se alejaran un poco de los árboles, y así poder captar el momento en que sus siluetas aparecieran limpias y oscuras frente a su cámara. Verificaba la altura del tripié y ajustaba el obturador. Sabía que no le quedaba mucho tiempo, ya que la noche estaba por echar sus garras al día. En ese instante, una parvada salió de entre los altos edificios de enfrente. Las aves caían como gotas emplumadas. Aleteando con fuerza, describieron círculos para después, manteniendo las alas muy quietas, dejarse llevar por las sutiles corrientes de aire. Cruzaron frente a él como si supieran de antemano que estaban posando para su lente. Extendieron con majestuosidad las alas. Disparó a pesar de no poder evitar a una figura que salía en la parte inferior del recuadro.

La fotografía ganó el primer lugar en el concurso “La ciudad y la tarde” que organizó la revista Contraluz y fue publicada en la portada de aniversario. El organizador del certamen, inspirado por la melancólica figura, de rostro apenas visible, le colocó a un lado un aforismo de Estrabón: “Ciudad grande, soledad grande”. El ganador, después de subir al estrado para recibir su premio, declaró a un reportero: “Sabía que esa tarde era especial. Me quedaba poco tiempo para lograr alguna toma interesante. Desde luego esperaba que los pájaros me ayudaran. Después de estar ahí dos horas pensé que me iba a ir en blanco. Cuando estaba a punto de renunciar a sacar la foto, un hombre cruzó la calle, sacó un suéter azul de su maleta y se lo puso. Se quedó mirando los autos, parecía no tener otra intención que la de estar parado en la banqueta. Tenía cierto aspecto desvalido, como si fuera un niño abandonado por sus padres. Por mi mente cruzó una idea que al principio juzgué fantasiosa, pero que esa noche, al estar revelando los negativos, cobró más fuerza: el pobre hombre no sabía quién era, ni a dónde iba a ir. Me prometí que, después de tener la foto del concurso le sacaría una a él. En ese momento aparecieron las aves, era la toma perfecta. Probé varios ángulos pero el hombre me estorbaba: en cualquier posición que colocara la cámara, él salía. Refunfuñando, disparé varias veces. Mientras lo hacía, me miró, alzó el brazo derecho y señaló con el dedo índice el cielo. Luego pasó junto a mí. Es difícil explicar por qué me puse tan nervioso: las manos me temblaban y no pude cambiar el rollo, ni siquiera el flash que necesitaba para poder sacarle la foto. Tal vez reteniéndolo unos instantes hubiera renunciado a sus planes”.

La célebre foto de Max Power, con los pájaros sobre su cabeza y él levantando su brazo hacia el cielo, es el único testimonio gráfico que se tiene. Nunca se supo nada de su familia; no hay registros de ningún tipo. Horas más tarde, encima de los tenis rojos, en su cartera manchada de sangre, sin billetes ni credenciales, se encontró una tarjeta de presentación. La tarjeta –ahora en el museo central de la capital– muestra, sobre un fondo claro, la silueta estilizada de una persona y debajo de ella, en letras mayúsculas (los peritajes que se hicieron especificaron que eran tipo Courier New, de 14 puntos) alineadas al centro, se puede leer: “HOLA, SOY MAX POWER”. A propósito de esto, un comentarista de radio ironizó: “Pareciera que el señor llegó de otro planeta, trajo un montón de tarjetas para hacer contacto con la gente y, cuando supo que lo estaban fotografiando, señaló la ruta hacia su galaxia.” El fotógrafo fue contratado por una revista de moda, tuvo varios romances con estrellas de cine. Sin embargo su carrera fue corta, porque el incidente con Max Power lo dejó marcado y desde entonces se empeñó en fotografiar pájaros y hombres con tenis rojos señalando al cielo.

Max Power bajó el brazo. Cerró los ojos. Sin importarle el humo que despedían los camiones, respiró profundamente. Las aletas de su nariz se ensancharon y llenaron los pulmones con un poco del follaje de los árboles, el fragmento de la plática de las personas, un pedazo de los autos que empezaban a prender los faros. Las puntas de los árboles se mecían lentamente, parecían arrullar a los pájaros que antes de dormir espulgaban cuidadosamente sus plumas. Continuó su camino y pasó junto al hombre de la cámara que, sumamente nervioso, no atinó a decirle nada. Se internó por una calle lateral un poco oscura. Su atención se concentró en las luces intermitentes de los anuncios. Notó que una de las agujetas de sus tenis rojos estaba suelta. Se agachó y la amarró. Caminaba lentamente, lo que hacía que varias personas lo rebasaran. Al llegar a una avenida transitada, con las manos en los bolsillos permaneció inmóvil, observando atentamente los actos circenses que se escenificaban en los semáforos: pequeños faquires acostándose sobre vidrios, hombres vomitando fuego, ancianas encorvadas pidiendo limosna. El sol se había extinguido, dejando el cielo cubierto por una gran mancha de aceite. Mucho se ha especulado sobre si alguna vez Power tuvo dudas acerca de lo que hizo. Las opiniones se dividen entre los que sostienen que actuó sistemáticamente, como si siguiera los pasos de un manual, y los que ven a un hombre atormentado que tuvo muchas dudas. El oficial de tránsito, asignado a ese crucero, dijo: “Desde el principio me llamó la atención el hombre de suéter azul. Era la hora en que muchos oficinistas salen de su trabajo, el tráfico se intensifica y los cruces de las calles están atestados. Entre el ir y venir de personas, el señor Power resaltaba, pues no se movía ni parecía tener intenciones de querer hacerlo. Era como si estuviera anclado en el piso. Dejaba pasar las oportunidades que le daba el semáforo con una tranquilidad que exasperaba. Yo dudaba de preguntarle si estaba perdido o necesitaba alguna información, porque en el fondo tenía curiosidad por saber cuánto tiempo estaría ahí, sin moverse. Después de un rato, vi como una niña se le acercaba. Él se agachó. Estoy seguro que sacó algo de su maleta y se lo entregó, aunque no pude distinguir con claridad qué era porque la gente que pasaba junto a él lo ocultaba de mi vista. La niña se alejó y, sin saber muy bien por qué, me dio el empujón que me faltaba para encararlo y acabar de una vez por todas con mis dudas. Atravesé la calle. Antes de hablar con él, me di cuenta de que en su cara había un gesto de frustración, como si el encuentro con la niña le hubiera dejado un mal sabor de boca. Sé que es difícil de creer, pero al observarlo con detenimiento me sorprendió el color de sus ojos, o más bien la ausencia de color en ellos. Su iris era una pantalla cambiante que actuaba como un espejo, devolviendo la imagen que tenía enfrente. En sus ojos vi a un auto estacionándose y a una persona de traje entrar a un edificio. Supongo que el señor Power advirtió mi perplejidad porque me observó fijamente, arqueó las cejas en actitud interrogativa. Mientras elegía la mejor forma de dirigirme a él, pude distinguir en su mirada el reflejo de mi insignia y mis lentes oscuros. Me decidí por la pregunta más lógica:

“–¿Puedo ayudarlo en algo?

“Negó suavemente con la cabeza. Por la forma como lo hizo pensé que era alguien sumamente educado. A pesar de la gentileza con que despachó mi pregunta, ya sin meditaciones volví a la carga con la esperanza de oír al menos su voz.

“–Pero… ¿está perdido, a dónde se dirige?

“Quise hacerle más preguntas pero me quedé extasiado viendo en sus ojos cómo un comerciante cerraba la cortina de su negocio. Parecía reflexionar profundamente su respuesta, porque inclinó ligeramente el rostro. Unas líneas de expresión se formaron bajo su nariz y en la frente. Cuando al fin entreabrió un poco la boca y pensé que iba a decir algo, se contuvo, limitándose a pasar la lengua por los labios y quedando de nuevo como estatua. Me sentí un niño pequeño al cual le prometen una golosina pero se la dejan encima de un mueble muy alto, inalcanzable. Tragando mi frustración con saliva, tuve la intención de dejarlo en paz, cuando el señor Power, advirtiendo mi desconsuelo, sacó su mano derecha del bolsillo haciéndome seña de que esperara, luego alzó muy lentamente el brazo y con su dedo índice señaló al cielo. Así, con ese gesto de autoridad, tenía aspecto de general, de un Napoleón de tenis rojos convocando a sus tropas para tomar por asalto la luna o las nubes, sólo que en vez de caballos tenía autos, y, en lugar de soldados, oficinistas ansiosos por llegar a sus hogares. En ese momento me notificaron por el radio de un accidente a muy poca distancia de donde me encontraba. Sin pensar que en pocos minutos me encontraría de nuevo con el señor Power, me dirigí a la patrulla.”

Max Power veía nostálgicamente el otro lado de la calle, como si ésta fuera un mar revuelto, hecho de asfalto, y no se atreviera a cruzar hasta la orilla. Una niña salía de una tienda lamiendo su paleta mientras guardaba las monedas del cambio en una bolsa con forma de manzana. Se quedó unos momentos junto a él esperando el alto del semáforo para pasar. Observó con detenimiento los tenis rojos, sonrió, acercó su mano pegajosa a la manga del suéter y le preguntó:

–Señor, ¿me podría dar la hora?

Power bajó la vista hasta toparse con las trenzas y la pequeña mano sujetándose a su suéter. Se arremangó, pero en su muñeca izquierda no había nada que sirviera para medir el tiempo. Revisó la derecha con los mismos resultados. Mientras se agachaba para estar a la altura de la niña, sacó de su maleta una pluma y un pedazo de papel. Apoyándose en el aire, dibujó un círculo bastante tembloroso. Con la punta de la lengua sobresaliendo apenas de sus labios, como un escolar batallando con sus deberes, le hizo varias marcas transversales y a cada una de ellas le escribió un número. Al finalizar, suspiró satisfecho y le entregó el papel a la niña. Una leve sonrisa, la del que termina exitoso un encargo, estampó su rostro. La niña, observando incrédula lo que le había entregado, volvió a exigir su atención jalándolo de la manga:

–Oiga, pero los relojes tienen manecillas, y éste no tiene. ¿Cómo voy a saber la hora?

Max Power se encogió de hombros, hizo un gesto de sorpresa, su boca se frunció, como si la niña le hubiera hecho una pregunta relativa a física nuclear o matemáticas avanzadas. Pronto el semáforo se pondría en rojo. La niña suspiró resignada, le dio otra lamida a su paleta, y le dijo lacónicamente:

–Bueno, adiós.

La pequeña figura se puso en marcha casi engullida por la estampida de portafolios y trajes que competían por llegar a la acera de enfrente. Max Power se despidió de ella agitando la mano. Después la metió de nuevo a su bolsillo. Al otro lado de la calle un agente de tránsito –entre tímido y curioso– se acercó a él.

Nunca se supo la identidad de la niña. Basados en el retrato hablado que proporcionó el agente de tránsito se pegaron carteles en la ciudad. Al no haber respuesta, extendieron la búsqueda a todo el país. Para muchos, ese encuentro fue crucial, o al menos bastante representativo. Incluso un famoso escritor desarrolló un cuento teniendo como trama esa supuesta plática. Retomando la información disponible en ese momento, el escritor apenas menciona el episodio del cine y básicamente se centra en la efímera relación que sostuvieron Power y la niña. En una entrevista concedida a la prensa internacional, afirmó: “Cualquier intento de una biografía de Power será casi en su totalidad imaginaria, porque los datos que han proporcionado los testigos son pocos y en algunos casos ambiguos. Por eso en el cuento abordo al personaje tratando de evitar datos, y escribo diálogos ajenos a cualquier lógica. Para mí, Power siempre será un ser subjetivo por excelencia, esa característica es la que hace que cada quien vea en él lo que le conviene. Las personas lo visten como si fuera un muñeco de cartón, le pegan distintos rostros, frases, esperanzas. El error radica ahí, porque él es lo opuesto: una hoja en blanco, un espejo que devuelve palabras, una estatua retándonos en silencio. Todo el mundo espera respuestas, soluciones, por eso no pudieron comunicarse con alguien que cada paso que daba era una enorme interrogación. Si tratamos de enfocar los hechos del 22 de marzo desde este punto de vista, todo lo que hizo, desde que salió del cine hasta que llegó al metro, adquirirá pleno sentido: el no–sentido.”

Después de caminar algunas cuadras, Max Power pudo ver un montón de curiosos apiñándose en círculo. El tráfico avanzaba muy lentamente. Los automovilistas, al ver las luces rojas y azules de una ambulancia, trataron entre claxonazos de hacerle un espacio. En el asfalto había fragmentos de vidrio machacados. La escena no necesitaba mayor interpretación porque el auto –con las llantas delanteras sobre la banqueta, el parabrisas destrozado– y la abultada manta blanca explicaban todo. El auto mostraba la dureza de un accidente; la fragilidad de la vida humana, era representada por la manta, que parecía un copo de nieve abandonado en medio de la calle. Dos velas situadas a sus lados titilaban como estrellas fúnebres. Power se fijó en todos los detalles: el cofre salpicado de manchas rojas, la bolsa de mujer colgando de la antena. Un vaso de unicel roto, todavía con restos de café, era arrastrado por el viento. Decenas de miradas curiosas contemplaban a la mujer sollozante, que se aferraba al bulto cubierto de tela blanca como si quisiera retener a un fantasma. Parecía una virgen doliente al pie de la cruz. La levantaron en brazos. Al principio opuso resistencia, sin embargo terminó cediendo y aflojó el cuerpo. Sus ojos no tenían lágrimas pero estaban rojos y casi desorbitados. Fue llevada a la ambulancia para que le administraran un calmante. Power, sumamente interesado en lo que sucedía, se hizo un lugar entre los curiosos. La gente murmuraba los detalles del accidente; alguien mencionó que había visto huir al conductor del auto. Dos paramédicos, sabiendo que ya no podían hacer nada, cuidando de no descubrir el cuerpo, levantaron el bulto y lo pusieron en una camilla. El agente de tránsito que había encontrado a Power calles atrás desviaba el tráfico hacia vías alternas. Observó cómo el sujeto que lo había desconcertado tanto caminaba en dirección de la ambulancia.

–¿Es familiar de la joven? –le preguntó el paramédico.

Max Power no contestó, ni siquiera lo miró. Con lentitud apartó la manta. Quedó tan absorto por su descubrimiento que se acercó todavía más y sin querer movió un poco las ruedas de la camilla. Esta pequeña sacudida fue suficiente para que una gota de sangre resbalara de los cabellos y fuera a estrellarse en su tenis derecho. La gota permaneció intacta en la punta, sin deformarse, brillando débilmente como si fuera un recuerdo del suceso. Acarició las mejillas sucias, llenas de cortes, al mismo tiempo que contemplaba la piel árida de los brazos. Los cabellos revueltos, apenas sujetos por un prendedor con forma de mariposa, le daban el aspecto de una chica recién despertada, lista para bañarse y dedicarse a sus labores. El cerco de curiosos se estrechó todavía más. Una voz murmuró “¿Qué está haciendo?”, pero la pregunta sólo obtuvo silencios e intercambios de miradas. Power observó cómo en los labios de la joven se formaban unas burbujas de sangre. Pasó las yemas de los dedos para limpiarlos. Lo hizo cuidadosamente: parecía temer despertarla de un sueño apacible. En ese momento, en un último acto reflejo, la boca de la joven se movió. Max Power dio un respingo y se apresuró a cubrirla de nuevo.

El accidente fue reseñado en una nota de tres renglones en la sección policiaca de los diarios locales. Sin embargo, una semana después, cuando los rumores de que Power había estado ahí fueron confirmados, la noticia adquirió resonancia mundial. Llovieron los reporteros tratando de saber el mínimo detalle de la atropellada y su madre. Al día siguiente se dio a conocer la historia completa: la joven era estudiante de economía, había ido al cine con su madre (coincidentemente la primera función de Le rouge et le noir). Al acabar la película habían ido a tomar un café. La joven tenía que estudiar para un examen, así que pidió uno para llevar. Se dirigían a la parada del autobús cuando, al pasar por las líneas amarillas que marcan el paso de los peatones, un auto ignoró la luz roja y la embistió de frente. Un testigo mencionó que vio el cuerpo rodando por el cofre, otro salía de su casa justo cuando el auto se detuvo bruscamente y dejó la huella de las llantas marcadas en el asfalto. La joven se golpeó con el parabrisas y salió proyectada metros adelante. Su bolsa ensartada en la antena siguió balanceándose unos segundos, como un péndulo, hasta quedar estática. La madre se llevó las manos a la boca porque al mismo tiempo las piernas de su hija dejaron de sacudirse. Policías y paramédicos fueron entrevistados una y otra vez. El encargado de la ambulancia dijo: “Lamentablemente no pudimos hacer nada, el impacto había reventado varios órganos internos y ya no había pulso. Intentamos reanimación artificial sin lograr respuesta. Íbamos a subirla a la ambulancia para llevarla al forense, cuando un hombre de suéter azul y tenis rojos se acercó a la camilla. Le pregunté si era familiar de la joven, pero no me respondió. Destapó el cuerpo y estuvo así unos segundos, hasta que algo lo asustó y se fue caminando de prisa. Tuve curiosidad por saber que era lo que lo había asustado, así que bajé la manta y me sorprendí mucho al descubrir en el rostro de la joven una sonrisa”.

En el velorio, los esfuerzos por extirparle del rostro esa sonrisa fueron vanos. La joven –todavía con el rostro hinchado, adquiriendo esa palidez que hace a los muertos figuras de cera– ostentaba imperturbable, hasta podría decirse con orgullo, una sonrisa limpia, de esas que sólo se pueden obtener con un buen chiste o una situación graciosa. Al siguiente día, antes de partir al cementerio, a los familiares les fue difícil llorar amargamente porque, al reconfortar a la madre y persignarse frente al ataúd, no pudieron dejar de preguntarse por qué la joven, que reposaba su muerte vestida muy correcta de blanco, con las manos cruzadas sobre el pecho, tenía esa sonrisa descarada que dejaba ver todos sus dientes. Algún primo lejano había comentado, cuando terminó el entierro: “Parecía que se estaba burlando de todos.” Un caso todavía más curioso, al que también le dieron seguimiento los medios, fue el que protagonizó su madre. Ésta, que había presenciado la breve aparición de Power, estaba segura de que era una especie de mensajero celestial; un ángel que había mandado Dios para hacer menos difícil la muerte de su hija. En caso contrario, ¿cómo explicar esa sonrisa? Sólo alguien que se sabe en las puertas del paraíso puede estar tan contento como para demostrarlo de esa forma tan explícita. El dolor de una madre al perder a su hija puede tener repercusiones sorprendentes. La idea del ángel fue tomando cada vez más fuerza en su mente. La prueba que faltaba para confirmar sus fantasías llegó cuando en el servicio forense se enteró del final de Power en el metro. Ya no necesitaba otra cosa, porque el mensaje era claro: el hombre de tenis rojos era un enviado del cielo que había elegido a su hija y a ella como portadoras de la verdad divina. Sintió que debía hacer algo. No podía permanecer indiferente, así que consiguió donativos, amplió su casa y, el 22 de marzo del año siguiente fundó “La Iglesia Universal de Max Power”, cuyos principios eran prácticamente los mismos que los de la iglesia mormona, con la diferencia de que los sacerdotes vestían igual que Max Power y, en la biblia oficial, su nombre era puesto en lugar de Dios, Jesús, y algunos de los profetas más importantes. Un comediante bromeó diciendo que, de ahora en adelante, cuando muriera una persona, un ángel de tenis rojos diera su aval, para que los familiares pudieran librarse de costosas misas y aburridos rosarios, pues el alma del ser querido ya estaba segura en el cielo. Algunos estudiantes que estaban entre el grupo de curiosos, fundaron el efímero movimiento de izquierda llamado “Todos somos Max Power”. Sin ningún documento ideológico, ni pronunciamiento político, lo único que hicieron fue rentar un cuarto y colgar una foto retocada por computadora en la que Power –con una boina sobre su cabeza y la barba medio crecida– simulaba ser una especie de Che Guevara. Con esta foto, vendida en camisetas y carteles, adquirieron fondos suficientes para reunirse todas las noches en su cuartel general y emborracharse a la salud de su héroe. De La Iglesia Universal de Max Power pronto se desprendió una rama místico-religiosa cuyos fundadores, monjes modernos, cabalistas, esotéricos, se dedicaron a estudiar cada paso de Power. Trazaron mapas del recorrido que hizo desde el cine hasta el metro, calcularon el mapa estelar del 22 de marzo, revisaron exhaustivamente la grabación del noticiero donde estaba su última huella. Para ellos, el hombre no había dejado nada al azar, todo tenía un significado críptico y, por lo tanto, sólo asequible a los iniciados. Con esta idea fueron al cine, estudiaron hasta el cansancio la foto de Power, contaron el número de letras de la tarjeta de presentación, las dividieron, sumaron, multiplicaron. Adquirieron decenas de copias de Le rouge et le noir. Como sucede con esa clase de movimientos, poco a poco fueron perdiendo fuerza, y dejaron de aparecer en público. Los últimos miembros siguieron sus estudios en secreto para poder tener libertad de acción. Hace poco publicaron un libro donde aseguran que “El Único e Indivisible Max Power”, como ellos lo llaman, era un iniciado que viajaba en el tiempo, habría recibido enseñanzas de los Esenios, participado en la construcción de las pirámides de Teotihuacán, ayudado a Leonardo da Vinci a pintar la Mona Lisa y, finalmente, en su última escala, había dejado su legado más importante. Aún no sabían cuál era éste, pero especulaban que tenía que ver con el fin del mundo. Entre toda la confusión que se desató a partir del accidente, la opinión más sensata fue la que dio una psicoanalista en un programa de radio: “Seguramente era hipersensible, toda su vida había evitado escenas desagradables. Como sabía que se acercaba el fin, tuvo el valor de enfrentar la muerte destapando el cuerpo de la joven. Es sabido que la gente después de muerta puede realizar movimientos. En este caso fue una sonrisa. Power se asustó y quiso llegar cuanto antes al metro, no soportaba estar un segundo más en este mundo que no entendía”.

A esa hora, la entrada al metro hervía de gente. Las personas caminaban por intrincados laberintos creados por los vendedores ambulantes, que así lograban ganar terreno para exponer mejor sus mercancías. Max Power compró un boleto y cruzó el torniquete. A pesar del frío de la calle, en el ambiente flotaba un aire tibio, pegajoso. Bajó las escaleras sumergido en la multitud que se amontonaba en el estrecho pasillo. Los escalones, erosionados por el continuo paso de miles de zapatos, se habían vuelto resbaladizos, un poco curvos en las orillas. El mar de cabezas se movía en orden, ejecutando una coreografía inmensa y bamboleante. Al llegar a una intersección, la fila se dividió en tres. Manteniéndose en el centro, dejándose llevar por el flujo de gente, llegó al inicio de una nueva escalera, ésta vez eléctrica. Al ir descendiendo, se dio cuenta de que el sentido contrario iba igual de repleto. Ante sus ojos desfiló un enjambre de lentes, gorras, narices, ojos. La escalera llegó a su fin y la fila se dispersó, como si fueran peces que hubieran estado atrapados y ahora pudieran nadar a sus anchas en el andén. Su atención divagó entre los anuncios de cosméticos, ropa deportiva, el rostro sonriente de un aspirante a diputado en plena campaña. Un gusano anaranjado, repleto de pasajeros en sus entrañas, emitió un silbido al entrar a la estación. Las puertas se abrieron. Los que estaban adentro luchaban por salir, mientras los de afuera buscaban hacerse de un espacio. El abordaje fue breve, porque las puertas empezaron a cerrar sus fauces. Una voz grabada pidió que dejaran libres los accesos. La serie de rectángulos naranjas reemprendió el viaje. Max Power observó los rostros apretujados contra los cristales, bajó la vista hacia la línea amarilla que señalaba el límite de seguridad y acercó la punta de sus tenis rojos hacia ella. El reloj ubicado debajo del nombre de la estación cambió de minuto. Los que no habían podido entrar no se intimidaron y tomaron nuevas posiciones para un nuevo intento. Power retiró la punta de sus tenis de la línea, pero inmediatamente los volvió a colocar ahí, rebasándola unos centímetros. Después se puso en cuclillas y, apoyando las manos en el piso, se arrastró hasta quedar sentado en el borde. Su actitud parecía la de un niño inocente que confunde su columpio con el paso del metro. Tal vez por eso la gente no actuó de inmediato. La acción resultó tan inverosímil que los había dejado con la boca abierta, sin saber que decir. Las piernas de Power colgaban y él las movía de atrás hacia adelante dando pequeños pataleos. Un niño riéndose señaló a su madre al extraño que movía las piernas como si estuviera sentado en una piscina. Max Power bajó la vista y, de un solo movimiento –impulsándose de nuevo con las manos–, dio un salto y cayó a la mitad de la vía. Eso despertó a la gente e hizo que reaccionaran las lenguas; primero fue la anciana que gritó: “No lo haga.” Luego el vendedor ambulante, que a falta de argumentos sólo pudo soltar una exclamación de incredulidad. Como una fila de fichas de dominó, una voz empujó a otra y así el efecto en cadena llenó de gritos las gargantas de todas las criaturas que poblaban el andén. En el sonido local pidieron calma. Power se quedó unos momentos observando con interés a la gente que manoteaba, se jalaba los cabellos, cerraba los ojos. Un señor de lentes alzó la voz para llamar su atención: “Dime qué es lo que quieres, yo te escucho.” Power se encogió de hombros dándole a entender que no quería nada y, metiendo las manos en los bolsillos, empezó a caminar. Arreciaron las súplicas, invocaciones a la Virgen, gritos desesperados de “no seas tonto”, “la vida es bella, muchacho”. A pesar del revuelo, nadie se atrevió a acercarse: parecía que se hubiera metido a un océano y la gente no pudiera rescatarlo porque no sabía nadar. El hombre de lentes –sin darse por vencido– hizo acopio de valor y se acercó al borde. Iba a bajar una pierna cuando se escuchó el ruido de unos vagones aproximándose. “Dios mío”, murmuró una voz. El valiente se amedrentó y abandonó su tentativa. Cuando todos esperaban angustiados el fatal desenlace, el suspiro de alivio de los que estaban cerca de la boca del túnel, indicó que el metro entraba por la otra dirección. El conjunto de vagones llegó con su carga, que contemplaba incrédula al hombre sobre las vías. La amenaza más inmediata había pasado; sin embargo Power seguía en su empeño y ya era demasiado tarde para que alguien se aventurara a un nuevo rescate. Caminaba sin prisa, parecía confundir el andén con un paseo dominical en el campo. Sólo faltaba que silbara una canción. La gente, resignada, observó a la figura de tenis rojos introducirse en el túnel. Antes de perderse de vista, volteó sonriéndoles, quizá para calmarlos, para demostrarles que no tenía miedo. El andén, antes ruidoso, se quedó en silencio.

El último acto de Max Power, dado a conocer en el noticiero nocturno, ocasionó que el reportero tuviera problemas nerviosos y que el titular de noticias ganara varios premios. Antes del enlace en vivo, pasaron varios testimonios que habían recabado al llegar a la estación del metro. Una señora resaltó la sonrisa en su rostro; un anciano, conmovido hasta las lágrimas, aseguraba que antes de bajar a las vías quiso decirle algo. En el puesto de control confirmaron que, después de entrar la persona al túnel, había pasado un vagón. El conductor de éste fue interrogado exhaustivamente; pero, por más preguntas que se le hicieron, lo único que pudieron obtener fue la declaración firme de que no había pasado por encima de nadie y que, en todo el recorrido, lo único fuera de lo normal había sido un reflejo minúsculo a la mitad de las vías, como si alguien hubiera dejado abandonado un espejo. Las autoridades anunciaron que habían detenido el tráfico en esa línea. Los pasajeros que salían del último recorrido no entendían la desesperación del joven reportero tratando de sacar algo en claro. Sus preguntas obtenían respuestas parecidas: “no vi nada”, “es una broma”, “estaba dormido”. El único testimonio diferente fue el que dio un hombre de traje y portafolios negro que, con mucha seguridad, dijo: “Se tiran al paso del metro, pero no se van así, caminando tan campantes”.

El conductor del noticiero hizo un enlace a la estación.

–Estamos en vivo. Dime que ves.

–Los rescatistas están alumbrando el túnel, buscando alguna señal del cuerpo… Un momento, voy a salir del aire, estamos arreglando algunas interferencias.

–Muy bien. Aprovecho para ir a comerciales.

Al regresar de los anuncios, el conductor muy serio dijo:

–Amables televidentes, para los que nos sintonizaron tarde les informo que un sujeto de aproximadamente 30 años, de tenis rojos y suéter azul bajó a las vías del metro y se fue caminando en dirección al túnel. Regresamos contigo, ¿hay algo nuevo?

–Parece que encontraron algo.

–¿El cadáver?

–No estoy seguro, nos estamos acercando para verificar.

En la pantalla se veía el túnel, los cascos blancos de los rescatistas resaltaban en la oscuridad. Por momentos la imagen se distorsionaba. La cámara situada detrás del reportero tomaba parte de su cabeza y de sus lentes

–Es una maleta.

–¿Qué tiene?

El reportero abrió el cierre.

–No hay nada.

La linterna de un rescatista distinguió algo, alumbró a la izquierda. Una voz anunció:

–Aquí hay algo.

–¿Puedes acercarte más?

No contestó, sino que se apresuró a llegar lo antes posible. La toma se agitó; después, estabilizándose, mostró la ropa abandonada de Power: calcetines negros, el pantalón arrugado de mezclilla, el suéter azul, los tenis rojos con las agujetas todavía amarradas. Encima de ellos estaba una cartera manchada de sangre.

–Los rescatistas van más adelante a ver si encuentran el cuerpo –dijo, y procedió a describir lo que estaba haciendo–. Voy a revisar la cartera, a ver si encuentro algo relacionado con la persona.

Unos segundos de silencio. La voz nerviosa del reportero, llegó a los oídos de la audiencia, perpleja, frente a sus televisores.

–Sólo hay una tarjeta. Dice HOLA, SOY MAX POWER.

–¿Estás seguro? ¿No hay nada mas?

–No, espera… –se dirigió al camarógrafo–. Oye, ilumina aquí.

El conductor, ya impaciente, iba a preguntar de qué se trataba cuando la toma, un poco borrosa, alcanzó a mostrar, en una de las paredes del túnel, la silueta de una persona trazada con tiza blanca –como lo hacen los peritos después de un accidente–. Era una pintura rupestre en la que se distinguían las piernas formadas por dos líneas irregulares que se unían al trazo más grueso del tronco. El círculo del rostro –en perpetuo equilibrio– tenía en su interior dos círculos más pequeños. Debajo de ellos, el triángulo de la nariz y la media luna correspondiente a la boca. Uno de los brazos estaba levantado; al final de éste, una línea de apenas uno o dos centímetros simulaba un dedo índice que señalaba arriba, hacia el cielo.

Max Power se adentró en el túnel, después de dar unos pasos volteó, parecía un hombre que sale de viaje y le dedica una última mirada a sus recuerdos. Aún podía escuchar las voces de la gente. Un ratón gris salió de un lado y atravesó frente a él arrastrando su cola pelada, inusualmente larga. Continuó su marcha. La oscuridad era apenas perforada por las diminutas lámparas situadas a los costados. Abandonó su maleta que resbaló de su cuerpo como una hoja seca cayendo de un árbol. Sintió la mano derecha pegajosa. Alzándola frente a su rostro, observó la palma teñida en rojo, las líneas de sus manos desdibujándose. Se detuvo y exhaló un suspiro largo. Sus movimientos eran seguros, sólo su mirada húmeda mostraba emoción. Fue poco el tiempo que le llevó quitarse toda la ropa. La piel se le puso de gallina. Dejó los tenis rojos que zafó sin necesidad de desatar las agujetas. Se escuchó el bufido del metro acercándose. Sabía que no quedaba mucho tiempo, así que se apresuró a sacar la cartera del bolsillo del pantalón y la colocó encima de los tenis. Un rastro de sangre la manchó. Poniéndose de pie, enderezando la espalda, aguzó la vista para ver a la incandescencia iluminar débilmente el fondo del túnel. Así, desnudo, Max Power parecía ser un hombre de cristal, un hombre necesitado de mostrar su fragilidad moviendo uno a uno los dedos de sus pies y sacando la lengua al ruido cada vez más fuerte. Transcurrieron quince, veinte segundos. La incandescencia se concentró en un punto brillante que expandía sus fronteras. Max Power sintió que su corazón bombeaba, que daba latidos poderosos. A los treinta segundos, la luz adquirió el tamaño suficiente para semejar un sol tímido que, asomándose al final del túnel, reclamaba sus dominios a la noche. El sonido despertaba ecos, mezclaba el alarido de los vagones con las ruedas metálicas sacando chispas de los rieles. Fue en el límite de los cincuenta segundos cuando el amanecer blanco, brillante, se apoderó por completo de sus ojos. Entreabrió la boca y dio un paso adelante. En sus pupilas se veía al gusano naranja devorar ávidamente las vías. Un resquicio de su mirada pudo reflejar el bostezo del conductor del metro. Cincuenta y cinco segundos y el amanecer inmenso empezó a fundirse en su cuerpo, ocupando cada centímetro. La última respiración, las aletas de su nariz se hincharon. Alzó el brazo. Cincuenta y nueve segundos. El engranaje del reloj de la estación rechinó y lentamente cambió de número. Después de eso ya no hubo nada.

Alejandro Badillo was born in Mexico City in 1977. He has published the short story collections Ella sigue dormida, Tolvaneras,Vidas volátiles and La herrumbre y las huellas. He is also the author of the novel La mujer de los macacos. His work has been included in numerous anthologies such as Ni muertos ni extranjeros: el lector soy yo, El abismo y Así se acaba el mundo, Bella y brutal urbe. Narradores nacidos en la ciudad de México de 1970 a 1989, Alebrije de palabras. Escritores mexicanos en breve. He writes for the magazine Crítica, publishes micro-fictions in blogs and electronic journals and currently runs creative writing workshops at the Universidad Iberoamericana-Puebla.

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *