Palabras Errantes Latin American Literature in Translation

Palabras Errantes
Juan Diego Incardona, ‘Victor Saint Death’

Victor Saint Death

Written by Juan Diego Incardona. Translated by Elsa Treviño.

I walked around the neighbourhood in no particular direction. It was the spring of 1993.

At the entrance of bridge number 7, I encountered Pocho, a Council employee who I had met years before in San Justo. He told me that he now held I don’t know what position in the area of Sweeping and Cleaning. Being on the dole, I scrounged a job from him almost by inertia, without much expectation, but surprisingly he told me that just then they were looking for someone.

He explained what the deal was and I accepted without hesitating. The next morning, I started early in the same place where we had bumped into each other, at the verge of the motorway. At six o’clock sharp, I met up with the troop and made my debut cleaning the landscaped hills next to the hard shoulders, armed with a pair of leather gloves and a steel rod, fine and long like a fencing foil. I had become a litter picker.

It was a nice job. I saw it as an excursion. I talked to one, I talked to another, and in the meantime I picked up little bits of papers without even having to bend down, thanks to the litter picker, which commanded respect as if it was a weapon. Even in the shantytowns they greeted me. I was the king of the Richieri motorway.

I was happy and what is more, I had dough in my pockets, because the pay was fairly good.  Despite everything, I only lasted a few months because I’ve never liked getting up early. The time I was there was enough for me to learn the occupational hazards and to meet, probably, the weirdest characters I can recall.

There was Martin, Sergio and the Crooked, life-long litter pickers; Tata and Tito, sawyers of fallen trees; the Fitito brothers –they called them so because each of them drove a little Fiat 600–, sewage uncloggers; the Moreno gang, wide-broom sweepers; the Cortez gang, regular-broom sweepers; the Chicago boys –they were such fans that they were allowed to work wearing the team ‘s green-and-black jersey–, bin bag assistants that came and went at full speed, taking the rubbish to the bin lorry and providing new bags to anyone who needed them; Mirtha –the only woman in the group–, oil-stain cleaner, famous among other things for having a sponsor: a detergent factory from La Tablada, that provided her with shirts and aprons with the company’s logo; and finally, skinny Victor, dubbed “the Mute”, “the Mummy” or “Saint Death” depending on the occasion, a bloke around forty of whom barely anything was known, except that he lived in Aldo Bonzi. His was the saddest of sad jobs: he collected any animal off the streets that had been run over or died in any other way.

I want to believe that, in some way, we were friends. Our conversations were more a monologue on my part than anything else. I talked to him about different topics and he remained silent. I couldn’t even be sure he was listening. He always looked at the floor. Maybe, by habit, he looked for organic remains. His head was full of visions. At times, I saw him grimacing and murmuring things, words that couldn’t be made out, dry and broken, like a cough.

The other guys didn’t have much to do with him, partly due to Victor’s own attitude, isolating himself on the trips as well as at lunch, but mainly because they were afraid of him. The thing is that like most Southwesteners, council workers were superstitious people too.

When we arrived to the meeting point and everyone greeted each other, some would wipe their hand with their trousers right after shaking his. They did it on the sly, but I would notice. I confronted the oldest Fitito brother, red Fitito (the other one was blue), and I asked him why he did that. He answered that it was because of the smell. His excuse had some truth to it. I had noticed from the beginning but I pretended I didn’t so as not to bother Victor. Evidently, the gloves he used weren’t enough and the smell of a dead dog, of a dead cat, had stuck to his hands.

“Not even with bleach can death be cleaned”, said red Fitito, categorically.

But the worst of all was the Crooked, who, whenever he was near Victor, crossed himself all the time. He tried to hide it and pretend that he was scratching his forehead, and then he would touch the middle of his chest and finally, go from one shoulder to the other, massaging himself and acting out gestures of pain, as if he had a muscle spasm. I looked at him and laughed inside, waiting for the cherry on top of the cake, the moment when he would take his hand to his mouth and kiss it speedily.

It’s difficult to say whether Victor was aware or not of the reactions he provoked, given how absent-minded he was all day long. If he knew, the truth is that he endured it with incredible composure. I wouldn’t have been able to tolerate it. Instead, he lived with the superstition of the others, who considered him not only a bad-omen but also someone evil; he continued with his routine as if nothing happened, rising above opinions and beliefs, more worried about perfecting his trade than the world’s chatter.

He was greatly disciplined and had lots of patience. When someone in the troop gave the “Dead animal!” alert, Victor appeared at the scene right away and took the spatulas and strange tools that he manufactured himself out of his backpack. As if he was an archaeologist, he peeled off the cadaver that already had started to fossilize on the asphalt, by action of the sun and the unmerciful wheels of the cars that kept smashing it over and over again.

At the end of the procedure, he put the remains in a black bag. He did it with utmost care and solemnity. It must be recognised that such respect was admirable, although certainly quite useless, because in a few hours the unfortunate would end up, as any bag of residues, in the corresponding landfill.

Once the bag was tied and knotted, one of the Chicago boys would become Death’s cadet and, in the blink of an eye, he would take the bundle to the truck’s box.

Skinny Victor stayed for a while staring at the final stain, that he didn’t allow anyone to clean, not even Mirtha, who sometimes offered to help him, detergent at hand. It was as if something mystical took him over.  I wouldn’t be able to say what was the true motive, but that’s how it always happened. Be it the morning or the evening, Saint Death, upright as a soldier, took all the time necessary until he made sure that the last drops of life of the poor fellow evaporated right there.

Watching him was a spectacle. That’s why the colleagues who were around, left what they were doing for a while and stayed looking at him, almost as hypnotised as he was; he would finally closed the scene mumbling something, who knows what.

The majority of the victims were stray dogs and cats, but sometimes there were other animals. Victor didn’t discriminate and provided his service to all: from pigeons and toads to rats.

Occasionally, he picked up hares or country snakes that adventured in crossing Olavarría Avenue. The weirdest event was that of a Tatú Carreta, a type of armadillo that, according to Tata and Tito, is often seen in the north. They knew this well because they were from the Chaco province; what they didn’t know, and neither did anyone else, was how had that creature arrived to Celina. It was a mystery. Tata proposed we ate it roasted, because he said its meat was delicious, a proper delicacy fit for a king, but despite him insisting for half an hour, supported by everyone, skinny Victor didn’t want to hear anything about it and, whimsically, gave it the same fate as the others.

“There is nothing we can do with this stubborn guy”, lamented Tata, “not even if he found a dinosaur would he let them touch it”.

The only exceptions were domestic animals. If someone claimed the body, he handed it to the owner, and he continued with another task.

When this happened, everyone else would shoot off and leave poor Victor alone to face the situation. The thing is that no one wanted to be present in a moment like that, because it crushed your soul to see a kid that had lost his pet, a lady that had lost her companion, anyone, definitely, crying over the remains of a loved one.

One of the most famous cases, and also one of the weirdest, was that of Lola, Mrs. Lupe’s old tortoise. The neighbours were shocked. I remember it as if it were today.

It turns out that Aldo, Lupe’s son, – “useless scumbag bum” was how people referred to him that afternoon to vent their anger – hadn’t shut the door properly. Who knows what went through the creature’s head to leave the garden, but moved by God or by the Devil, it went out onto the pavement and there it started a slow race, a fatal race. What was most surprising about this accident was where it happened: more than two blocks away from Lupe’s house.

It was incredible that no one had seen it walk such a long distance nor had prevented the animal’s crazy adventure, but that’s just how it was, because at that time during the siesta even the dogs are asleep and not even the parrot is out on the street. Step by step, it moved forward, going up and down the steps through Giribone, crossing the ditch and the same Ugarte Street to continue, against wind and tide, until San Pedrito.

Nature is wise, the crowd said to themselves, because on the other side of San Pedrito the paddocks began. In that direction walked Lola, who yearned, maybe, to get lost among all those weeds, a worthy desire, it must be said, of her relatives the marine turtles, which seek the ocean as soon as they’re born.

Surrounded by neighbours and employees, Victor carried out his job once more. Carefully, he peeled Lola off the tarmac and, after wrapping her in a nylon bag, he handed her to Lupe, who returned to her house escorted by a crowd of neighbours. Everyone was trying to console her but it was all in vain.

While Victor took care of the last rites, talking to himself in front of the stain of blood, the remaining onlookers kept recreating the story. Some women, led by Porota, suddenly blamed Teresa, another neighbour who, for me, had nothing to do with it, but who they singled out for being Doña Lupe’s historical enemy. They observed that she surely must had seen her, Lola, go out and that she didn’t tell anyone on purpose. The most imaginative version said that Teresa had planted the way with grated carrot, to set the tortoise up. This sounded to me like a major delirium, but many really believed it and they had started to repeat it, because hatred in a neighbourhood, like in a small town, can be infinite.

During the following two weeks, Victor had almost no work, because strikingly, no fatality took place. People took care of their pets as never before and they even took the dogs out on leads, quite unusual behaviour in the neighbourhood, where one and all let their animals parade unleashed, on their own. Paranoia reached such a peak that Porota now said that a sect had come to Villa Celina to sacrifice animals, to honour who knows which god of the Afro Brazilians.

Even nature seemed to have been warned because, as skinny Victor’s forced leisure time showed, not even the pigeons blundered when they pecked for crums in the street, nor the rats risked leaving the curb holes, nor the toads abandoned the puddles.

It was a golden age for the animals in my neighbourhood. They were so spoilt that in “San Roque” pet shop they ran out of treats, toys and little bones. The neighbours even bought balanced food, since they didn’t consider the stew and soup and rice leftovers that they fed their pets before enough.

This streak put Victor under a new light. While the others kept to their regular tasks, sweeping, picking and unclogging, he now went slowly by the pathway without worrying about anything, his head up high, enjoying the sun in his little summer of San Juan.

He looked so relaxed that when we travelled on the truck, he would close his eyes for moments and he even seemed to fall asleep, something that happened to most of us but never to him, always obsessive and focused on his work. But now he must’ve been making up on missed sleep. Who knows if he had slept a wink in those last years, from all the nightmares that must’ve tortured him in the shape of freshly deceased dogs, cats and little birds.

For sixteen days exactly, the fauna of the southwest remained healthy and there was nothing to interrupt its vitality, neither trucks, nor polluted ditches, nor slingshots or compressed air rifles.  But on the morning of the seventeenth day, an overcast morning that couldn’t decide whether to rain or not, a voice yelled something that no one would’ve wanted to hear. It was red Fitito’s voice that in a drama-loaded tone announced:

“Dog hit in Giribone and Unanué!”

We were all struck dumbfounded, stiff as stones, even Victor, who in that instant walked just beside me. Around us, the rhythm of the street stopped as well, as if time had stopped still. In the distance, Fitito’s open mouth tried to repeat the notice but, at least I, couldn’t hear him.

Suddenly, the world began to turn again. Victor straightened up until he was firm, turned around and marched, gathering speed, to the mentioned corner.

The entire Council troop chased him. Down the block, some windows opened violently, and the neighbours that had heard peeked out to watch.

Right away, several folks came out on the street to spread the word. Porota, out of her mind, let everyone in her way know, and each time she did, she added a new detail.

“They killed a dog!”

“They killed a dog again!”

“The people from the sect killed a dog again!”

 Reaching the corner of Giribone and Unanué, a round huddle had already formed around the body. No one dared touch it. The moment Victor appeared, people made way. When I saw the animal, my heart stopped. The victim was no other than “the Old Fellow”, a white dog mongrel that always stopped by my friend’s house on the corner. For two years, my sister María Laura had thrown him a blanket in the porch and had fed him.

Supposedly, according to what Tuta told us, he was blindly following a female dog and that’s why he got distracted. A car hit him with all its force and the dog bounced about three meters and there it stayed, stiff.

Victor took out his tools from the backpack and spread out the black bag. Everyone remained silent until Porota burst with anger:

“It makes me so angry! It makes me so angry!”

Then, the voices multiplied and the uproar grew so much that it was deafening. But among all the things they said, a phrase, tepidly, won the scene. It was like a scream that silenced everything else, a scream uttered in a low voice. Saint Death’s mouth pronounced the unexpected.

“It’s alive”.

“What are you saying?” Everybody asked.

Victor didn’t reply. He lifted the dog carefully and, using the black bag as a stretcher, he took it to the truck.

“It’s alive! The Old Fellow is alive!” People repeated.

Without wasting time, the truck pulled away and went out onto Giribone Street towards the collector lane of Richieri Avenue. In a caravan, we went to the office of the Society for Animal Protection of Boedo, there in the Capital.

At the ward, the veterinary told us that the dog was in shock and that it had two broken legs, but that it would recover. Celina’s group burst with joy. Victor himself smiled a smile broad as laughter, which I had never seen in him before.

Soon, to his regret, life and death would go back to normal. His hands would put on the gloves anew, they would wield the strange tools and would tie hundreds of times the black bags, but not that day. Soon, his mouth would recite dark prayers in front of the stains of blood, the rest of the Council’s troop would observe his rituals in the distance, the Chicago boys would carry the bundles to the box of the truck, but not that day.


Víctor San La Muerte

Escrito por Juan Diego Incardona.

Caminaba por el barrio hacia ningún lugar en especial. Era la primavera del año 1993.

En la entrada de Puente 7, lo encontré a Pocho, un empleado de la Municipalidad que había conocido años atrás en San Justo. Me contó que ahora tenía no sé qué cargo en la parte de Barrido y Limpieza. Yo, que andaba desocupado, le mangueé laburo casi por inercia, sin mucha expectativa, pero él, sorpresivamente, me dijo que justo necesitaban a alguien.

Me explicó de qué se trataba y acepté sin dudarlo. A la mañana siguiente, empecé temprano en el mismo lugar en donde nos habíamos cruzado, a la vera de la autopista. A las seis en punto, me reuní con la cuadrilla y debuté limpiando las lomas parquizadas junto a las banquinas, armado con un par de guantes de cuero y una vara de hierro larga y fina como un florete. Me había convertido en pinchapapeles.

Fue un trabajo agradable. Yo lo tomaba como un paseo. Hablaba con uno, hablaba con otro, y mientras tanto levantaba papelitos sin tener ni siquiera que agacharme, gracias al pinchador, que imponía respeto como si fuera un arma. Hasta en la villa me saludaban. Era el rey de la autopista Richieri.

Estaba contento, y además tenía plata en los bolsillos, porque pagaban bastante bien. Pese a todo, duré pocos meses, porque nunca me gustó madrugar. El tiempo que estuve me alcanzó para aprender los gajes del oficio y conocer, probablemente, a los personajes más extraños de los que tenga memoria.

Estaban Martín, Sergio y el Chueco, pinchapapeles de toda la vida; el Tata y el Tito, serrucheros de árboles caídos; los hermanos Fititos —les decían así porque andaban en un Fitito cada uno—, destapadores de desagües; la pandilla Moreno, barrenderos de escobillón ancho; la pandilla Cortez, barrenderos de escoba; los pibes de Chicago —eran tan fanáticos que se les permitía trabajar con la camiseta verdinegra—, asistentes de bolsas de residuos que iban y venían a toda velocidad, llevándose la basura al camión y reponiendo nuevas a quien las necesitara; la Mirtha —única mujer del grupo—, limpiadora de manchas de aceite, famosa, entre otras cosas, por tener auspiciante: una fábrica de detergente de La Tablada, que le proveía remeras y delantales con el logo de la empresa; y por último, el flaco Víctor, apodado “El mudo”, “La momia” o “San La Muerte”, según la ocasión, un tipo de más o menos cuarenta años de quien no se sabía casi nada, salvo que vivía en Aldo Bonzi. El suyo era el trabajo más triste de los trabajos tristes: recolectaba de la calle animales muertos por atropellamiento o cualquier otra causa.

Quiero creer que, de alguna manera, fuimos amigos. Nuestras charlas eran más un monólogo de mi parte que otra cosa. Yo le hablaba de distintos temas y él se quedaba callado. Ni siquiera podía estar seguro de que me estuviese escuchando. Siempre miraba el piso. Quizás, por costumbre, buscaba restos orgánicos. Su cabeza estaba llena de visiones. Por momentos, lo veía haciendo muecas, y diciendo cosas en voz baja, palabras que no se entendían, secas y cortadas, como la tos.

Los otros muchachos lo trataban muy poco, en parte  por la propia actitud de Víctor, que se aislaba, tanto en los viajes como en los almuerzos, pero principalmente porque le tenían miedo. Es que igual que la mayoría de los habitantes del sudoeste, también los trabajadores municipales eran gente supersticiosa.

Cuando llegábamos al punto de reunión y todos nos saludábamos, varios se limpiaban la mano en el pantalón después de estrechársela a él. Lo hacían como quien no quiere la cosa, pero yo me daba cuenta. Una vez lo encaré al mayor de los hermanos Fititos, a Fitito rojo (el otro era azul) y le pregunté por qué hacía eso. Él me contestó que era por el olor. Su excusa tenía algo de verdad. Yo lo había notado desde el principio, pero hacía como que no lo sentía, para no incomodar a Víctor. Evidentemente, los guantes que usaba no eran suficientes y el olor a perro muerto, a gato muerto, se le había pegado a las manos.

—Ni con lavandina se limpia la muerte —dijo Fitito rojo, lapidario.

Pero el colmo de todos era el Chueco, que cuando estaba cerca de Víctor se persignaba a cada rato. Él disimulaba y hacía primero como que se rascaba la frente, después se tocaba en el medio del pecho y finalmente pasaba por un hombro y después por el otro, masajeándose a sí mismo y actuando gestos de dolor, como si estuviera contracturado. Yo lo miraba y me reía por adentro, esperando la cereza del postre, el momento en que se llevaba la mano a la boca y se la besaba a toda velocidad.

Es difícil decir si Víctor se daba cuenta o no de las reacciones que provocaba, de tan ensimismado que estaba todo el día. Si lo sabía, la verdad que lo soportaba con una entereza increíble. Yo no podría haberlo tolerado. Él, en cambio, convivía con la superstición de los demás, que lo consideraban no sólo un malasuerte, sino también alguien malvado, y seguía con su rutina como si no pasara nada, elevado por encima de las opiniones y creencias, más preocupado por el perfeccionamiento de su oficio que por las habladurías del mundo.

Tenía una gran disciplina, y mucha paciencia. Cuando alguien de la cuadrilla daba el alerta de ¡Animal muerto!, enseguida aparecía Víctor en el lugar de los hechos y sacaba de su mochila las espátulas y extrañas herramientas que él mismo fabricaba. Como si fuera un arqueólogo, despegaba lentamente el cadáver que ya empezaba a fosilizarse en el asfalto, por acción del sol y de las ruedas impiadosas de los autos que siguieron aplastándolo una y otra vez.

Al finalizar la operación, guardaba los restos en una bolsa negra. Lo hacía con mucho cuidado y solemnidad. Hay que reconocer que semejante respeto era digno de admiración, aunque bastante inútil por cierto, porque en pocas horas el desafortunado iría a parar, como toda bolsa de residuo, al basural de turno.

Una vez que la bolsa era atada y anudada, alguno de los pibes de Chicago se convertía en cadete de la Parca y, en menos de un suspiro, llevaba el bulto hasta la caja del camión.

El flaco Víctor se quedaba un rato mirando la mancha final, que él no permitía que limpiasen, ni siquiera la Mirtha, que a veces se ofrecía a ayudarlo, detergente en mano. Era como una cosa mística que le agarraba. No podría decir cuál era el verdadero motivo, pero así pasaba siempre. Ya fuera a la mañana o a la tarde, San La Muerte, erguido como un soldado, se tomaba el tiempo que fuera necesario hasta asegurarse que las últimas gotas de vida del pobre diablo se evaporaran allí mismo.

Verlo era un  espectáculo. Por eso, los compañeros que andábamos cerca, dejábamos un rato lo que estábamos haciendo y nos quedábamos mirándolo, hipnotizados casi como él, que finalmente cerraba la escena balbuceando algo, quién sabe qué.

La mayoría de las víctimas eran perros y gatos callejeros, pero a veces se trataba de otros animales. Víctor no hacía diferencias y a todos les prestaba su servicio: desde palomas y sapos hasta ratas.

Muy de vez en cuando, levantaba liebres o culebras del campito que se aventuraban a cruzar la avenida Olavarría. El hecho más raro fue el de un Tatú Carreta, un tipo de armadillo que, según contaron el Tata y el Tito, suele verse por el norte. Ellos lo sabían bien porque eran chaqueños; lo que no sabían, y tampoco los demás, es cómo había llegado ese bicho hasta Celina. Era un misterio. El Tata propuso que lo comiéramos asado, porque decía que su carne era riquísima, propiamente un bocado de los reyes, pero por más que insistió durante media hora, apoyado por todos, el flaco Víctor no quiso saber nada y encaprichado le dio el mismo destino que a los demás.

—No hay manera con este cabeza dura —se lamentó el Tata—, ni que encuentre un dinosaurio va a dejar que lo toquen.

La única excepción eran los animales domésticos. Si alguien reclamaba el cuerpo, Víctor, automáticamente, se lo entregaba al dueño, y seguía con otra tarea.

Cuando esto pasaba, todos salían disparados y lo dejaban solo al pobre Víctor, para enfrentar la situación. Es que nadie quería estar presente en un momento así, porque te partía el alma ver a un chico que perdió la mascota, a una señora que se quedó sin compañía, a cualquier persona, en definitiva, llorando sobre los restos del ser querido.

Uno de los casos más famosos, y también más extraños, fue el de Lola, la vieja tortuga de Doña Lupe. Los vecinos estaban conmocionados. Me acuerdo como si fuera hoy.

Resulta que Aldo, el hijo de Lupe, “vago de porquería”, según lo nombraba la gente esa tarde para desquitarse, había dejado la puerta mal cerrada. Vaya uno a saber qué le pasó por la cabeza al bicho para dejar el jardín, pero movido por Dios o por el Diablo, salió a la vereda y allí empezó una lenta carrera, una carrera fatal. Lo que más sorprendió de este accidente, fue el lugar adonde sucedió: a más de dos cuadras de la casa de Lupe.

Era increíble que nadie la haya visto caminar tanta distancia e impedido su loca aventura, pero así fue nomás, porque a esa hora de la siesta hasta los perros duermen y ni el loro anda por la calle. Paso tras paso, avanzó, subiendo y bajando escaloncitos por Giribone, cruzando la zanja y la misma calle Ugarte para seguir, contra viento y marea, hasta San Pedrito.

La naturaleza es sabia, se dijo en el tumulto, porque del otro lado de San Pedrito empezaban los potreros. En esa dirección caminaba Lola, que anhelaba, tal vez, perderse dentro de tanto yuyo, un deseo digno, hay que decirlo, de sus parientes las tortugas marinas, que, al nacer, sólo buscan el mar.

Rodeado por vecinos y empleados, Víctor cumplió, una vez más, su trabajo. Cuidadosamente, despegó a Lola del asfalto, y después de envolverla en un nylon, se la entregó a Lupe, que volvió a su casa escoltada por un montón de vecinos. Todos trataban de consolarla, pero era en vano.

Mientras Víctor cumplía el último rito, hablando solo frente a la mancha de sangre, los curiosos que todavía quedaban, seguían reconstruyendo la historia. Algunas mujeres, lideradas por la Porota, de pronto culpaban a Teresa, otra vecina que para mí no tenía nada que ver, pero que ellas señalaban por ser enemiga histórica de Doña Lupe. Comentaban que seguro la vio salir a Lola y que a propósito no le avisó a nadie. La versión más fantasiosa decía que Teresa había sembrado el camino con zanahoria rallada, para tenderle una trampa a la tortuga. Esto me sonaba a delirio mayor, pero muchos realmente lo creían y empezaban a repetirlo, porque el odio en un barrio, como en un pueblo, puede ser infinito.

En las dos semanas siguientes, Víctor casi no tuvo trabajo, porque llamativamente no se produjo ninguna fatalidad. La gente cuidaba a sus mascotas como nunca y hasta sacaban a los perros con correa, una conducta insólita en el barrio, donde todo el mundo simplemente dejaba que los animales pasearan sueltos, por su cuenta. La paranoia llegó a tal punto que ahora Porota decía que una secta había venido a Villa Celina para sacrificar animales, en honor de no sé qué dios de los negros de Brasil.

Hasta la propia naturaleza parecía advertida, porque, tal como lo demostraba el ocio obligado del flaco Víctor, ni las palomas se equivocaban cuando picaban migas de la calle, ni las ratas se arriesgaban a salir de los agujeros de los cordones, ni los sapos abandonaban los charcos.

Fue la época dorada de los animales de mi barrio. Eran tan mimados que en la Veterinaria “San Roque” se agotaron las golosinas, juguetes y huesitos. Hasta comida balanceada compraban los vecinos, que ya no consideraban suficientes los restos de guiso, de sopa, de arroz, que antes les daban a sus mascotas.

Esta racha puso a Víctor bajo una nueva luz. Mientras los demás seguíamos con nuestras tareas habituales, barriendo, pinchando y destapando, él ahora iba despacio por la vereda sin preocuparse por nada, con la cabeza en alto, tomando el sol de su veranito de San Juan.

Se lo veía tan relajado, que cuando viajábamos en el camión, por momentos cerraba los ojos y hasta parecía dormirse,  algo que le sucedía a la mayoría pero jamás a él, siempre obsesivo y enfocado en su trabajo. Pero ahora debería estar reconciliándose con el sueño. Quién sabe si habrá podido pegar un ojo en esos últimos años, de tantas pesadillas que lo deben haber torturado en forma de perros, gatos y pajaritos recién muertos.

Durante exactamente dieciséis días, la fauna del sudoeste se mantuvo saludable, y no hubo nada que interrumpiera su vitalidad, ni camiones, ni zanjas contaminadas, ni honderas o rifles de aire comprimido, pero la mañana del día diecisiete, una mañana de cielo encapotado que no se decidía si llover o no llover, una voz gritó algo que nadie hubiera querido escuchar. Era la voz de Fitito rojo, que, con un tono cargado de dramatismo, anunció:

—¡Perro atropellado en Giribone y Unanué!

Nos quedamos duros como una piedra, inclusive Víctor, que en ese instante caminaba justo al lado mío. Alrededor, el ritmo de la calle también se detuvo, como si no corriera más el tiempo. A lo lejos, la boca abierta de Fitito intentaba repetir el alerta, pero, al menos yo, no podía escucharlo.

De pronto, el mundo empezó a girar de nuevo. Víctor se enderezó hasta ponerse firme, dio una media vuelta y se dirigió, acelerando, hacia la esquina en cuestión.

Toda la cuadrilla municipal lo persiguió. En la cuadra, algunas ventanas se abrieron violentamente, y los vecinos que habían escuchado, se asomaron para ver.

Enseguida, varios salieron a la calle a correr la bola. La Porota, enloquecida, le avisaba a todo el que se cruzaba en su camino, y cada vez que lo hacía, agregaba un nuevo detalle.

—¡Mataron a un perro!

—¡Volvieron a matar a un perro!

—¡Los de la secta volvieron a matar a un perro!

Al llegar a la esquina de Giribone y Unanué, ya se había formado una ronda alrededor del cuerpo. Nadie se atrevía a tocarlo. Apenas apareció Víctor, la gente abrió paso. Cuando vi al animal, se me paró el corazón. La víctima era nada más y nada menos que “El viejo”, un perro blanco callejero que paraba con mis amigos en la esquina de casa. Desde hacía dos años, mi hermana María Laura le tiraba una mantita en el porche y le daba de comer.

Supuestamente, por lo que nos contó Tuta, iba ciego atrás de una perra y por eso se distrajo. Un auto le pegó con todo y el perro rebotó como tres metros y ahí se quedó, duro.

Víctor sacó sus herramientas de la mochila y desplegó la bolsa negra.

Todos guardaban silencio, hasta que la Porota estalló de bronca:

—¡Me indigna! ¡Me indigna!

Entonces, las voces se multiplicaron y el barullo creció tanto que te dejaba sordo. Pero entre todas las cosas que se decían, una frase, tibiamente, ganó la escena. Era como un grito que silenciaba todo lo demás, un grito pegado en voz baja. La boca de San La Muerte pronunció lo inesperado:

—Está vivo.

—¿Qué decís? —le preguntamos todos.

Víctor no contestó. Levantó al perro con cuidado, y usando la bolsa negra como si fuera una camilla, lo llevó hasta el camión.

—¡Está vivo! ¡El viejo está vivo! —repetía la gente.

Sin perder tiempo, el camión arrancó y salió por Giribone hacia la colectora de la Richieri. En caravana, fuimos hasta el M.A.P.A. de Boedo, allá en Capital.

En la guardia, el veterinario nos dijo que el perro estaba en shock y que tenía fracturadas dos patas, pero que se iba a recuperar. El grupo de Celina estalló de júbilo. El propio Víctor sonrió, una sonrisa ancha como la risa, que jamás le había visto antes.

Pronto, para su pesar, la vida y la muerte volverían a la normalidad. Sus manos se calzarían nuevamente los guantes, empuñarían las extrañas herramientas y  atarían cientos de veces las bolsas negras, pero no ese día. Pronto, su boca recitaría oscuras oraciones frente a las manchas de sangre, el resto de la cuadrilla municipal observaría a distancia sus rituales, los pibes de Chicago llevarían los bultos a la caja del camión, pero no ese día.

Share Button

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *